Privacy & Cookies Policy
Last updated: 16.05.2016
This Policy forms parts of the terms of the website located at www.velawoodsenglish.com (the "Website").
This Policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, through the Website or otherwise, will be processed by us and tells you what cookies we use for the Website and the function of these cookies.
Velawoods Learning Ltd. is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998 and is committed to protecting your information and respecting your online privacy.
We collect and process data about you when you visit our Website or through other channels. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- information provided when you register as a learner for our Velawoods English Services. At registration, we may ask you for personal data and by providing this you are consenting to its use in providing you access to our Velawoods English Services;
- information about how you access the Website and about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our Website (including date and time); services you viewed or searched for; page response times; download errors; length of visits to certain pages; page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs); and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call any of our contact numbers;
- information about your use of and performance in Velawoods English Services including your times of access, progress, test scores, and other information relating to your use of the Velawoods English Services;
- information provided when you enter competitions on our Website; and
- information provided if you use one of our learning or communications facilities; fill in forms on our Website or correspond with us by email, live chat or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you participate in forum discussions on our Website (if made available), and when you report a problem with our Website. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number. We may also record these communications for quality and training purposes only. We will store communications for about six months and we will keep them confidential and not share that information other than in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
In general, if you contact us, we may keep a record of your query or complaint for a reasonable time in case you contact us again.
Purposes and Disclosures
We use your personal information provided by you for the following purposes:
- to provide you with access to our Velawoods English Services;
- to answer any of your queries, to keep a record of the information which you have been provided and for general statistics and research;
- to contact you for customer feedback about your experience using our Velawoods English Services. this may be during your use of the Velawoods English Services or within 1 month of your subscription finishing;
- where you have provided us with your email address when you register for our Velawoods English Services, you may be sent marketing emails with other offers from Velawoods that you may be interested in. When you register your details you can opt-out of the email marketing;
- for other purposes clearly stated on the page or any other method in which you provide your information to us; and
- as necessary for you to enjoy the benefits associated with use of our Website.
We may share some of your personal information with third parties in the following ways:
- we may disclose your personal information including your email address, screen name, login times and dates, progress, test scores, course and level feedback reports and other information relating to your use of the Velawoods English Services to any person or entity (such as your school or your employer) who purchases any subscription to our Velawoods English Services on your behalf. This is to enable them to monitor and track your progress;
- we may sometimes use third parties to process personal information on our behalf. For example, we may use third parties to maintain our IT systems. Where we use third parties to process your personal information, we will ensure that they have adequate security measures in place to safeguard your personal information;
- we may transfer your personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area, where data protection safeguards are not as high as they are in the UK. If this occurs we will ensure that adequate measures are taken to protect your personal information; and
- we may disclose your personal details where we are required to do so under a court order, or following any other request from a duly authorized competent body (including in respect of criminal and civil matters), if we believe that the disclosure is required by law or is reasonably necessary to protect the values and objectives of our Website or other users.
Our Website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of other websites and we advise you to read the privacy statement of every website that asks you to provide your personal information.
Paying for our Velawoods English Services
When you pay for our Velawoods English Services, you will be asked for details of a credit or debit card and other related information. We use a third party payment service provider to process all credit and debit card transactions and they directly collect credit or debit card details over a secure link.
We do not have access to any of your payment card details nor are they made available to our referral affiliate partners, bulk buyers, agents or resellers. Our third party payment service provider will use the personal information you provide to process your online payment.
When you make a payment online, our third party payment service provider will protect your information in line with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
We do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details with any 3rd parties.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we put on your computer, if you agree. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of our Website which helps us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our Website and also allows us to improve our Website.
We use a session cookie for your individual visits to our Velawoods English Services. This is required for access and if you reject or block this cookie you will not be able to use our Velawoods English Services. We also have an optional persistent cookie to remember you between visits. You can choose not to use this function, but if you do choose to be remembered, this cookie will expire after 6 months.
We do not use any advertising cookies or third party cookies on our Website.
You can manage our cookies through your browser settings.
Velawoods Learning Ltd. is subject to the EC Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC through the Data Protection Act 1998. You can find the details for the UK Information Commissioner at: www.ico.org.uk.
By using this Website and/or submitting personal information to us, you are consenting to the processing of that personal information by us and our agents in accordance with this Policy.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you (we will ask for confirmation of identity before we disclose any personal information and will charge you a small fee). Please address requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively, use the following postal address: Data Protection Officer, Velawoods Learning Limited, Salisbury House, London Wall, London, EC2M 5QQ.
If you think there are any inaccuracies in your information you can either update them on your account page or contact Velawoods Learning Limited to have them corrected. Questions, comments and requests regarding this Policy are welcome. Please use the above details to contact us.